News    Politics

ANC apologizes to the media


By Smanga Kumalo    27-Jun-2012 06:28 UTC+02:00

The ANC  apologized to the media yesterday (Wednesday) over the confiscation of accreditation tags at the party’s policy conference.
The party’s national executive committee member (NEC), Jeff Radebe apologized to the reporters on behalf of the party.

“Let me apologize on behalf of the ANC about some of the mishaps that happened here” he said. He said they (ANC) have taken steps to ensure the incident doesn’t happen again.

According to Radebe, it was not African National Congress policy to deal with the media in such a manner. Reporters were only allowed to speak to delegates during tea and lunch breaks.

ANC spokesperson Keith Khoza told reporters earlier in the day that  they had to stay away from the Gallagher Estate conference hall while commissions were sitting. During the lunch break, police walked up to reporters and photographers from various media houses and confiscated their accreditation tags. ANC spokesperson Jackson Mthembu claimed the cameras and tags had been returned.

Apparently  several photographers said their cameras were returned to them with photos of delegates deleted.
Mthembu said security officials often behaved contrary to the party’s instructions. “Security is security. Even the ANC security does things that amaze us,” Mthembu said. He said they like to add to the apology that comrade Jeff made, that comes from their deepest hearts.


Leave a comment