R1 Million Offered to Senzo Meyiwa’s Family by Motsepe


By Oliver Ngwenya    04-Nov-2014 05:35 UTC+02:00
Patrice Motsepe is said to be offering the Meyiwa family R1 million.  Image: Timeslive.

Patrice Motsepe is said to be offering the Meyiwa family R1 million.
Image: Timeslive.

It is understood from sources close to the president of Mamelodi Sundowns, Patrice Motsepe, that he has been so touched by the “senseless killing” of South African national team and Orlando Pirates captain Senzo Meyiwa that he wants to offer the family financial assistance to the tune of R1 million. This was, however, neither confirmed nor denied by the man responsible for the dissemination of information at Sundowns Football Club, Joe Latakgomo, who said that he was not aware of any financial aid that the billionaire mining magnate is said to have pledged to the Meyiwa family. However, this may all be clarified in the unusual press conference that Motsepe is said to be planning for later on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the police in Gauteng are said to have released the thirteen people they had apprehended in connection with the shooting of Senzo Meyiwa. According to the man in charge of the investigation on the police force, Lt-General Vineshkumar Moonoo, the police had brought in for questioning and released thirteen individuals after ascertaining that they were not involved in the fatal shooting of the soccer star. Lt-Gen Moonoo said that, based on the information the police had obtained, the police were of the opinion that the incident in which Meyiwa was shot and killed was what they referred to as a “robbery gone horribly wrong”. He insisted that the reward that had been offered for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of the man responsible for the fatal killing which had been pegged at R250 000 was still available and the police were waiting and would follow every lead they got.

The man who was apprehended on Thursday and briefly appeared in the Boksburg Magistrates Court on Friday, Zenokuhle Mbatha, was still a suspect and was still being held in custody. There have, however been media reports in which the family of Mbatha are said to have come out in defence of their sibling, saying that he was not in the least like the identikit that was used as the basis of his arrest. However, according to the police, Mbatha was arrested on the basis of a parade in which he was positively identified. It has also been learnt that he is a resident of Vosloorus, the area in which Meyiwa was killed last Sunday while visiting his girlfriend, pop music star Kelly Khumalo. He was, however, arrested in KwaZulu-Natal and is set to appear in court on 11 November.

On the other hand, the private security company that had been commissioned by the Meyiwa family to find the killers of their soccer star son, Magma Security Services, have confirmed that the investigations are still continuing and that they hinged quite significantly on the arrest of the second suspect, the retrieval of the murder weapon as well as the stolen cellphone. Shaheed Suleiman of the private investigation company promised to keep the media community aware of any more information that they obtained regarding the investigation.


Comments



Showing 2 Comments
Any thoughts? Leave your comment below
  1. Ngako Frans Moriana says:

    Its interesting,realy

  2. Mercy says:

    Senseless killing

Leave a comment