Don’t you just love award shows? In my house it’s a huge affair. No interruptions allowed, BBM off!
Mr Dick Clark, best known for hosting the popular show American Bandstand (something akin to Idols), created the American Music Awards(AMA’S) in 1973 as an alternative to the Grammys.
Sunday night, the 18th of November saw the 40th anniversary of the awards, held at the Nokia theatre in Los Angeles, and hosted by none other than E!’s Ryan Sea crest.
For those of us who couldn’t stay up till the wee hours of the morning to catch Channel O’s live broadcast of the awards due to tedious reasons such as work and having to wake up early the next day, Vuzu brought us the good, the bad, and the ugly from the world’s most popular artists at the awards on Monday night.
With Justin Bieber taking away the most awards for the night (3 in total) namely‘Artist of the Year’, ‘Favourite Pop/Rock Male Artist’ and ‘Favourite Pop/Rock Album’ for Believe, Nicki Minaj was flying the flag high for women coming in second with two awards. ‘Favourite Alternative Rock Music Artist’ went to Linkin Park who was just here on our shores performing two sold out concerts in Cape Town and Johannesburg. ‘Favourite Adult Contemporary Artist’ went to new mommy Adele and the much anticipated‘New Artist of the Year Award’ went to Miss “I threw a wish in the well don’t ask me I’ll never tell” Carly Rae Jepsen for her hit single Call me Maybe.
But in case you STILL somehow managed to miss out on all the action, I’ve boiled it down to my Top 10 of the most noteworthy, notorious and awkward moments from the show:
1. Best Attempt at Saving Paper: There were no envelopes this year- El Gore would be proud. Winners were revealed through a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Oh, you fancy, huh? Yes, yes they are.
2. Sweetest tribute: With the record for most Grammys wonas an individual Stevie Wonder’s tribute to AMA’s founder Dick Clark touched the heart.
3. Best Use of Swag: OK, Bieber, we see you! The young pop singer won the first award for ‘Favorite Pop/Rock Male Artist’, and started his acceptance speech with, “This is for all the haters who thought that maybe I was just here for one or two years. But, I feel like I’m gonna be here for a very long time.”
4. Hottest Rock star Mom: Hands down Mrs Gwen Stefani when she took the stage with No Doubt it was all Love.Angel.Music.Baby.
5. Best PDA: Presenter Jenny McCarthy who was kissing Bieber all over the neck and even grabbing his bum when he got on stage to accept his second award.
6. Most Endurance Award Goes To: We all know Usher’s got the moves like Jagger (which he so graciously passed on to Justin Bieber), but all the dancing during his performance at the show’s opening deserves props. He was literally running at one point.
7. Funniest moment: Modern Family’s Eric Stonestreet Calling out Taylor Swift’s “OMG, another award?!?” Shocked face.
8. Most awkward: When Nicki Minaj rapped about Selena Gomez during her performance with Justin Bieber” But I gotta keep an eye out for SELENER” while performing “Beauty and a Beat” with Justin.
9. Best Moment: The performances,Kelly Clarkson‘s greatest hits montage with throwbacks of “Miss Independent” and “Since U Been Gone.” Ke$ha’s performance was as crazy as one would expect, but you can’t help but love “Die Young.” Very catchy. However performance of the night went to P!NKwho is apparently a master at expressing herself through the art of dance (with the help of body paint), as she showed us when performing an interpretive piece along with singing her new song “Try”.
10. Greatest Ending Ever: Don’t lie, you know the dance—Psy got the crowd going with “Gangnam Style.” And just when you thought it couldn’t get any better, MC Hammer got on stage and they mixed the Korean dance song with “Too Legit to Quit.” We need to give whoever decided to collaborate those two a Bell’s, with Ice!
What were your best or worst moments of the awards?