Marli van Breda, the 16-year old who survived a gruesome axe attack on her and her family has been discharged.
The grade 11 pupil sustained head injuries during an attack on her family at the De Zalze golf estate in Stellenbosch on January 27.
According to the Beeld newspaper Marli was discharged on Saturday from the Vergelegen Medi-Clinic in Somerset West.
Her guardians’ spokesman Martin has confirmed the report and says Marli is still unable to make a police statement.
“She can speak and her health has improved considerably, but like anybody who had a head injury she cannot function 100 percent yet.”
It is said that Marli potentially holds the key to the investigation.
Marli has since been sent to a rehabilitation centre. Advocate Martin Coetzee, who represents her, said the family does not want to reveal the name of the rehabilitation centre where she is being treated so that she can recover without any disturbances.
Marli’s parents, Martin, 54, and Teresa, 55, and her older brother, Rudi, 22, were all killed in the attack. Her brother, Henri, 20, survived and has since been living with an uncle.
No arrests have been made however, several reports have surfaced claiming that Henri van Breda is a potential suspect as he only suffered minor injuries during the brutal attack.
Police have reportedly handed over the case docket to the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) for consideration.
The NPA says it will take its time to study the docket on the van Breda family murder
On Monday, it was reported on claims that the NPA’s dossier contains enough forensic evidence and circumstantial evidence to pursue a suspect.
Just last week it was confirmed that Henri is being represented by lawyer Pieter Botha, who was part of British murder accused Shrien Dewani’s legal team.
The NPA’s Velekhaya Mgobhozi says if the NPA is not satisfied with the docket, it will send it back for further investigation.