Residents of the greater Blaauwberg area in Cape Town will have the opportunity to visit an Eskom home insulation demonstrations at the Bayside Mall from 14 to 16 June 2013. The demonstrations, which show the benefits of ceiling insulation and window glazing, form part of Eskom‘s on-going campaign to support householders with electricity savings tips as measures to optimising their energy usage and reducing their monthly electricity bills.
With winter now in full swing – and many parts of the country experiencing below zero temperatures – householders will be inclined to heat up their internal spaces using room heaters. Space heating accounts for up to 16% of a household’s monthly electricity bill. In uninsulated homes, approximately 40% of heat loss takes place through the roof. Insulation slows heat transfer and makes your home up to 10°C cooler in summer and 5°C warmer in winter.
Effective insulation is an important cost saving measure:
- It makes the home up to 5% warmer in winter;
- It reduces – and postpones – the need to switch on space heaters; and
- It contributes to lowering electricity bills; an insulated and draught-proofed room requires 51% less energy to heat up.
Effective insulation requires five easy steps:
- Seal gaps around windows;
- Draught-proof wall cavities throughout the home;
- Draught-proof doors, and make sure all door sweeps are in good condition;
- Install window blinds or hang curtains – it improves thermal insulation by preventing heat from escaping the home; and
- Most importantly, install fire-retardant ceiling insulation.
Below is a full list of Malls where Eskom’s demonstrations will take place:
Menlyn Park Mall, Pretoria:
Bayside Mall, Cape Town: 14 to 17 June 2013
Garden Route Mall, George: 20 to 23 June 2013
Vaal Mall, Vanderbijlpark: 20 to 23 June 2013
Clearwater Mall, Johannesburg: 27 to 30 June 2013
Maponya Mall, Soweto:
Nicolway Shopping Centre, Johannesburg: 4 – 7 July 2013
Detailed information on winter savings tips and Eskom’s rebates for the homeowner is available at www.eskom/idm.co.za
For more information contact:
Eskom Media Desk
Tel: 011 800 3304/3309/3343/3378
Cell: 082 805 7278
Fax: 086 664 7699