General News » Education »

Wits University Accepting More Black Students Into Health Sciences

The University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) has revised its entrance policies for their faculty of health sciences, resulting in an intake of 60 percent black pupils from rural and low-quintile schools. The university’s spokesperson, Vivienne Rowland, announced that the faculty has revised its admissions policy, resulting in a minimum 60 percent black student intake for the 2015 academic year. In her statement, Rowland said that the remaining 40 percent of the places wil... Read more »
by Robert Wiggill | Published 5 years ago

By Oliver Ngwenya On Sunday, June 29th, 2014

Stellenbosch University Rector and Vice Chancellor Prof. Russel Botman Dies at 60

The country of South Africa has been hurt where it hurts the most. One of its most illustrious sons has been taken away from it once again. Professor Russel Botman has passed on at his home in Stellenbosch on F... Read more »
By Robert Wiggill On Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014

National School of Arts Teacher Allegedly Calls Blacks ‘Demons’

Allegations that a teacher told pupils that black people are “demons” at the National School of Arts in Braamfontein, Johannesburg, are being investigated by the Gauteng Education Department. The Na... Read more »
By Staff Writer On Thursday, March 6th, 2014

University of Cape Town’s Global Ranking Drops

The global ranking of Africa’s top university, the University of Cape Town (UCT), has dropped two times in a row over the past two years. According to the latest Times Higher Education World University Ra... Read more »
By Mvusi Ngubane On Tuesday, January 7th, 2014

Zuma Congratulates Matriculants of 2013

Congratulations were offered by President Jacob Zuma to the matric class of 2013 and those learners who sat through last year’s National Senior Certificate examinations. The president placed emphasis on t... Read more »
By Rofhiwa Maneta On Tuesday, September 24th, 2013

Glenvista Pupil Faces Criminal Charges

The Glenvista High student who was filmed attacking his teacher in a viral cellphone video is facing criminal charges after the teacher laid charges of assault against him. The incident came to public attention... Read more »
By Thandi On Tuesday, September 10th, 2013

SADESMO Lends A Helping Hand to the Youth in Rural Areas

Press Release The South African Democratic Students Movement (SADESMO) started a campaign on 8 September 2013 where they will be visiting students in rural settlements especially Matrics.  They will be providi... Read more »
By Mohapi Kamohelo On Thursday, September 5th, 2013

Is the Education crisis to blame for unemployment?

Just over two months ago we celebrated youth month (June) in commemoration of the youth of 1976 that left their mark in the sand of history, one that is recognized and hailed by many across the globe. This part... Read more »
By Ntokozo Sindane On Thursday, August 29th, 2013

Walter Sisulu University Closed

The situation at the Walter Sisulu University in the Eastern Cape is still not ideal for studies to resume. The staff members at the university have been on strike for the past five weeks. The wage disputes and... Read more »
By PAW On Friday, August 9th, 2013

Pretoria Teacher Suspended for Taking Pupil to Have His Penis Pierced

The classroom is supposed to be a place where a healthy transfer of information between teacher and pupil occurs. The teacher is in a position of authority and it is the duty of the teacher to ensure that the a... Read more »