On Friday 11 October, it will either be a last fight for Paarl’s Johannes Salie or he will rise from the ashes like a phoenix. A veteran Salie will be trading leather with a kickboxer turned boxer from Congo named Christian Bobo. Salie has had only 2 fights in the past year and one this year. He comes from 2 back to back losses against quality opponents in Yanga “Hitman” Phetani and Christiano Ndombassy. His record stands at 25 fights, 14 Wins, 12 Knockouts, 10 loses and a solitary draw.
The “Pearl of Paarl” as Salie is known has a well-documented history being a brawler that lives everything in the squared circle. He is an exciting fighter that did not have a luck to get a crack on the SA Jr middleweight title even during his prime. Salie (41) is now already thinking of hanging his gloves after 2 or 3 fights. His opponent Christian Bobo from DR Congo only has 3 fights with 2 wins and 1 loss. His record is however deceiving as he has much Kickboxing and mixed martial arts experience. His height advantage and kickboxing stance will be a puzzle that Salie will have to solve for 8 rounds.
Another interesting bout will see Sandile Kota of University of the Western Cape making his heavyweight professional debut on the night against Patrick Sindani of Democratic republic Congo. This will be an exciting fight as Kota will be making his pro debut against a relatively unknown international opponent. Kota’s skills are horned by a former boxer Patrick Tshongolo from Dunoon. Kota has had more than 50 amateur fights with only 6 loses. Those who have seen him at amateur know him as both a puncher and a boxer.
The tournament is dubbed ‘bring back the future in Cape Town’ and is featuring 6 four round fights and 2 eight round fights. As usual the Maxim tournament will feature boxers from South Africa, Tanzania, Congo and even Canada. The promoter of the tournament is Allen Chizungu of Maxim boxing promotions, who will be staging a second tournament this financial year. All the bouts are sanctioned by Boxing South Africa. Chizungu has taken the tournament back to the Sea Point Civic hall and it will be on Friday, 11 October 2019 at 19h00.
FULL FIGHT CARD
1. Mini Flyweight Fight 4 Rounds, Sandiso Centane (Houtbay) Vs Mouton Vianco (Cape Town)
2. Featherweight Fight, Amos Yamkela Platjie (Houtbay) vs sithembiso Lucky Maduna (KZN)
3. Flyweight Fight 4 Rounds, Xolisa Matane (Houtbay) vs Zimbonge Nocele (Khayelitsha)
4. Heavyweight Fight 4 RDS, Sandiso Kota (Cape Town) Vs Patrick Sindani Mampuya (Congo)
5. Jr Flyweight Fight 4RDS, Fezeko Maginindane (Hout bay) vs Mbulelo Gubula (Mossel Bay)
6. Junior Bantamweight Fight 4RDS, Siphamandla Maliti (Cape Town) Vs Gcina Makhoba (KZN)
7. Junior Middleweight 4 RDS, Frank Masden (Canada) Vs Saidi Habibu (Tanzania)
8. Main bout, Middleweight Fight 8 RDS, Johannes Salie (Paarl) vs Christian Bobo (Congo)