State Security Minister David Mahlobo has confirmed that the State Security Service stopped a second Cape Town teenager from fleeing the country to join the Islamic State group (ISIS).
Mahlobo said the teenager from Grassy park, a suburb in the Cape Flats, was picked up at the Cape Town International Airport.
According to reports, the Hawks and State Security took action after a tip-off from another Capetonian teen.
Last month a 15-year-old girl from Kenwyn was stopped from joining ISIS when she was taken off a flight from Cape Town to OR Tambo. After she was caught, the teen admitted that she was planning on joining Islamic State. She was the first documented case of IS recruitment in South Africa.
The two teenage girls are said to be friends and attempted to leave the country to join the ISIS 10 days apart
After a search at the home of the first teenage girl it was found that she was in contact with IS recruiters on social media platforms and that she had made a bank transfer of R7 000 to a local bank account.
Minister David Mahlobo said after the news of the teenage girl from Kenwyn’s attempt to abscond to the Middle East to join ISIS, concerned community groups began to contact the State Security Department reporting that they believed their children were being recruited to do the same as the young girl.
Director General for the State Security Department, Sonto Kudjoe, told a media briefing before the State Security’s budget debate in Parliament on Tuesday,“We know for sure that at ISIS level they are targeting them young and they use cyberspace to do so.”
Minister Mahlobo urged parents to monitor their children’s internet usage.
Intelligence sources have come forward saying that the physical presence of recruiters for the Jihadist group ISIS in South Africa is now being investigated.