Last weekend Durban was the place to be for the fight fans as we witnessed the South African Boxing awards resurfacing after 7 years. This year marked the beginning of the new era in Boxing with Tsolofelo Letjaka as the man in charge. Even though the new CEO has no Boxing background he seems quite aware of Brand creation and he possess the ability to return fight fans into their lovely sport.
The hugely favoured Sharodine Fortuin for female Boxer of the year lost to Limpopo based Bukiwe Nonina. However Shinzo as she is known by fans won a consolation price of fight of the year for his last performance against Da Silva. Bukiwe Nonina got the nod since she is the only Boxer that has ever beaten Fortuin and also she defended her Bantamweight title a record 5 times for a female Boxer. She is also set to fight for a WBF world title in March 31.
The Male Boxer of the year ward was one of the highly contested awards with Xolisani Ndongeni, Zolani tete and Simpiwe Khonco contesting. The winner was Xolissani Ndongeni with his 22 fights with no loss record. 26 year old Nomeva is already the former South African Junior lightweight champion, the former South African Lightweight champion, the former IBO Lightweight champion, and the former WBA Pan African lightweight champion.
Prospect of the year award went to Azinga Fuzile who shock the nation when he won the SA featherweight title with just 4 fights under his belt. The highly favoured Thulani Mbenge of Smith’s gym came close to winning as he also has no loss in all his 8 knockouts since they both turned professional in 2014 and 2015 respectively.
The other big winners were as follows:
- Promoter of the year, Reel Steel Promotions (Adre Thyse).
- Most promising promoter – Dream Team Promotions.
- Manager of the year – Mlamli Tengimfene.
- The most promising ring official – Mandisi Mkile.
- The trainer of the year – Chief Njekanye.
- Male ring official – Deon Dwarte;
- Woman ring official – Sylvia Mokaila.
- Woman fight of the year – Fortuin v Simone Da Silva.
- Male fight of the year Simphiwo Khonco vs Hekkie Budler.