According to the Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JMPD), the bus driver who made a lucky escape after he ploughed through a barrier wall and plummeted off the Queen Elizabeth II bridge in Braamfontein on Wednesday, will be charged.
ER24 spokesperson Russel Meiring says the driver apparently lost control of the bus and went through the barricades on the bridge, landing on its nose on the road below just metres away from Park Station. However, witnesses have come forward saying that the bus driver was speeding and swerving in and out of oncoming traffic. Slippery roads as a result of rain earlier on Wednesday morning have also been cited as a contributing factor in the accident. Fortunately, there were no passengers on the bus, which was making its first journey of the day.
According to the National spokesperson for Metrobus Esther Dreyer the 2006 Mercedes-Benz bus was mechanically sound as it had recently been overhauled at the depot workshop.
The road had to be closed off from the Queen Elizabeth Bridge to the Nelson Mandela Bridge while the bus was being removed.
According to reports, emergency officials had to use more than two cranes to bring the bus back onto the bridge.
The driver, who has not been named is in a stable condition at the Milpark hospital and is being treated for injuries to his head and spine.
In a statement, the National spokesperson for the Metrobus said, “Management of Metrobus deeply regrets the accident and the inconvenience to our commuters. A thorough investigation will be conducted to ascertain the cause of the accident and appropriate remedial action will be taken.”
Meanwhile, Metro police spokeswoman Edna Mamonyane said, ” He lost control and went into oncoming traffic. Already that’s reckless and negligent.”
Mamonyane says the law must take its course.